SEE AN INTERACTIVE CONTRAFLOW MAP
I-10 West Contraflow Lanes:
- The eastbound and westbound lanes of I-10 from Clearview Parkway in Metairie to I-55 North in LaPlace will be used as westbound lanes. On the Contraflow Plan, the normal westbound lanes are shown with BROWN arrows and the Contraflow (eastbound) lanes areshown with BLUE arrows.
- All I-10 West entrances through New Orleans, Metairie and Kenner will be used in their normal manner to gain access to I-10 West.
I-55 North Contraflow Lanes:
- The northbound and southbound lanes of I-55 from I-12 in Hammond to the Mississippi state line will be used as northbound lanes.On the Contraflow Plan, the normal northbound lanes are shown with RED arrows and the Contraflow (southbound) lanes are shownwith BROWN arrows.
- Traffic traveling I-55 North (BROWN) will be diverted onto I-55 North Contraflow and will only be allowed to exit at two locations: Exit 47 (LA-16) in Amite and Exit 61 (LA-38) in Kentwood.
I-59 North Contraflow Lanes:
- The northbound and southbound lanes of I-59, north of the I-10/I-12/I-59 interchange, will be used as northbound lanes. On theContraflow Plan, the normal northbound lanes are shown with PURPLE arrows and the Contraflow (southbound) lanes are shown with GREEN arrows.
BROWN Arrows (I-10/I-55 North to Hammond and Mississippi):
- In LaPlace, the I-10 West (BROWN) lanes will be diverted to I-55 North toward Hammond and Mississippi. Traffic will not be allowed to continue on I-10 West at this interchange.
- All traffic traveling on I-55 North will travel in the existing northbound lanes.
- When traffic traveling on I-55 North reaches the I-55/I-12 interchange in Hammond, I-55 will begin to Contraflow (both the north and south lanes will travel north into Mississippi).
BLUE Arrows (I-10 West to Baton Rouge):
- Traffic destined for Baton Rouge may enter the Contraflow (eastbound) lanes from Clearview Parkway, Veterans Boulevard or Williams Boulevard in Jefferson Parish. (see diagrams).
- Traffic destined for Baton Rouge may enter the Contraflow (eastbound) lanes from I-10 West via a cross- over at the Clearview Parkway overpass. This is the only opportunity to enter the Contraflow (eastbound) lanes from I-10 West without exiting and re-entering the interstate.
- In LaPlace, I-10 Contraflow traffic (BLUE) will be diverted onto the westbound lanes of I-10 and will continue west on I-10 toward Baton Rouge.
RED Arrows (Lake Pontchartrain Causeway to Covington, I-12, Hammond, Mississippi):
- Northbound traffic on the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway (RED) will be diverted onto I-12 West (RED) at the US-190/I-12 interchange and will continue on I-12 West to Hammond.
- I-12 West (RED) will be diverted onto I-55 North (RED) at the I-12/I-55 interchange in Hammond.
- I-55 North (RED) will continue north into Mississippi.
GREEN Arrows (I-10 East to I-59, North to Slidell, Mississippi):
- I-10 East traffic (GREEN) from New Orleans will cross the I-10 Twin Spans using the three eastbound lanes.
- Contraflow of I-59 will begin at the I-10/I-12/I-59 interchange.
- At the I-10/I-12/I-59 interchange, the left and center lanes of eastbound I-10 will be diverted onto southbound I-59 (GREEN).Only the right lane will continue onto I-59 North (PURPLE).
- The I-10 East (GREEN) traffic will not be allowed to continue on I-10 East or enter I-12 West.
PURPLE Arrows (I-59 North to Mississippi from I-10 West):
- I-10 East traffic (GREEN) from New Orleans will cross the I-10 East Twin Spans using the three eastbound lanes.
- Only the right lane (GREEN) will continue onto I-59 North (PURPLE).
- All traffic on I-10 West (PURPLE) from Mississippi will be diverted on I-59 North (PURPLE) at the I-10/I-12/I-59 interchange.
- I-10 West traffic will not be allowed to continue westbound on I-10 or I-12.
ORANGE Arrows (I-12 Westbound - Covington/Hammond):
- Traffic traveling on I-12 West (RED) between Covington (US-190) and Hammond (I-55) will NOT be allowed to continue on I-12 West.This traffic must divert onto I-55 North.
- Traffic traveling on I-12 West between Slidell (I-10/I-12/I-59 interchange) and Covington (US-190) will NOT be allowed to continue to I-12 West. This traffic will be diverted onto US-190 West.
- Traffic traveling on US-190 West will be allowed to continue to Baton Rouge.
All Interstate exit ramps will be open to normal traffic flow. Interstate exit ramps in the Contraflow lanes will be limited and marked with variable message boards.
Study this map and CHOOSE YOUR ROUTE WISELY. There will be many restrictions on the Interstate system. Upon entering the contraflow area, it may not be possible to change routes. Contraflow operations will begin when evacuations are initiated in Jefferson and Orleans parishes. If you do not wish to evacuate under the contraflow restrictions, your best strategy is to LEAVE EARLY before contraflow is activated.
Information courtesy the Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development