READ THE LATEST PARISH PRESIDENT'S REPORT
Post Date:January 09, 2018 1:06 p.m.
In this report
- December was very busy December with numerous Christmas Celebrations. One was a visit to the patients at Children’s Hospital to deliver gifts collected by our Planning & Zoning and Recreation Departments. We held our annual Senior Citizens Christmas Luncheon with over 450 attendees. We also participated in the annual Tree Lighting which was held again at the Community Center. Also, the annual Toy & Gift Drive for our parish children was held. Even the freezing weather didn’t keep them from coming. Over 700 children, talked to Santa, received a gift, played games and treated to lunch prepared by Valero volunteers.
- The St. Charles Parish Public Works Department will pick up live Christmas trees for recycling curbside around the parish this Tuesday and Wednesday. Drop-off sites will also be available at the East and West Bank Bridge Parks in Destrehan and Luling until Jan. 17. Trees must be stripped of all decorations. Flocked trees will not be accepted. The trees will be used for coastal restoration in the Bayou Gauche area.
- St. Charles Parish Department of Community Services will be accepting preliminary applications for the Owner-Occupied Housing Rehabilitation through the USDA Housing Preservation Grant (HPG) Program beginning Monday, January 8, through Friday, January 19, 2018 at their location in New Sarpy. More information can be found at stcharlesparish-la.gov/communityservices
- Registration for spring baseball, softball and T-ball is now open until February 9. Registration for youth tennis is also now open until Feb. 23. For more information, visit stcharlesparish-a.gov/recreation.
- As many of you know Paradis Canal Gate, a proposed project of our West Bank Hurricane Protection Levee, was selected as one of six projects to receive matching grant funding from the state’s Coastal Restoration and Protection Agency (CPRA) in December. We want to thank CPRA for awarding us these funds because it enables us to provide our residents with a critical piece of flood protection on the west bank of St. Charles Parish. Flood protection has been our priority from the beginning and we look forward to continuing our relationship CPRA and other integral agencies. Special thanks to our Grants Office who worked very hard to put together the application!
- Congratulations to our Finance Department who received the Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting by the Government Finance Officers Association of the United States and Canada (GFOA) for the 2016 comprehensive annual financial report. This is the twentieth year they have been given this award. Mr. Grant Dussom can you please come up?
- Dussom: "This is a tremendous honor as it's the twentieth consecutive year that we have won this. The only thing that sounds sweeter is 21. So we are looking forward to next year and we appreciate all of your help."
- We would like to wish all the residents of St. Charles Parish a Happy, Safe and Prosperous New Year!!